TEACHING ABOUT HOUSTON'S COASTAL PRAIRIES
The Big Story
The coastal prairie ecosystem once blanketed more than 70% of what we now think of as Greater Houston. Now this vibrant ecosystem is imperiled. This module will help you better understand and teach about Houston's hidden heartland - the coastal prairie.
TEKS-Correlated Prairie Lessons
- Snapshots in Time: Land Use Change in Greater Houston | Grades 3-5 Science and Social Studies | Print Activity Page
- Have a Ball!: A Restoration Activity | Grade 6-8 Biology and HS Environmental Science | Watch Demo
- Deep in our Hearts: Explore Connections Between Ecosystem, Culture, History, Etc. | Grades 2-5 Science and Social Studies | Play Gene Autry's version of Deep in the Heart of Texas
- Save the Last Dance: Endangered Prairie Species | Grades 4-8 Science | Watch Last Dance video
- Got Grass? | Learning about Native Grasses | Grades 7-8 Science
- Grasshopper Safari | Adaptation and Ecology of Insects | Grade 4-5
- Saving Grassland Wildlife from Houston to Africa poster (Houston Zoo)
- Native Monarch and Butterfly Gliders
- Attwater's Prairie Chicken Mask (Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.)
- Houston Toad Mask (Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept.)
- Prairie Crossword
- Voices from the Past: Historical quotes about Houston and Prairies
- Brief History of the Katy Prairie (coming soon)
High-School Level Prairie Lessons and Activities by Carolyn Klein
- Ecosystem Inventory Worksheet | High School Science
- Monarch Migration and Tagging Lesson | High School Science
- Reading a Watershed Map Lesson | High School Science
- The Web of Life on the Katy Prairie Lesson | Grades 6-12
- Measuring Diversity in a Prairie Activity | Grades 10-12 Science
- Prairie Poker Activity | See PowerPoint Presentation and Print Coloring Grid Activity | Grades 6-12
- Tragedy of the Commons Activity | See PowerPoint Presentation | Grades 6-12
- Anole Tag and Recapture Lab Activity | Anloe Population Sampling in the Wolf Prairie | See PowerPoint Presentation for Activity Day | Grades 10-12
Groups Active in Prairie Conservation/Education
- Coastal Prairie Partnership - A collaborative group working to unite the prairie community.
- Houston Audubon Society - Grows prairie plants and manages several prairie preserves.
- Katy Prairie Conservancy - A nonprofit land trust that protects over 20,000 acres of prairie west of Houston.
- Native Prairies Association of Texas - Houston Chapter - A volunteer group dedicated to the protection of Lawther-Deer Park Prairie and to advocacy of local prairies.
- Texas Parks & Wildlife - Manages several prairies at local state parks including Sheldon Lake, Brazos Bend SP, and Galveston Island State Park.
- The Nature Conservancy of Texas - Protects the Nash Prairie and Texas City Prairie Preserve among others.
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Protects and manages Attwater Prairie Chicken and Brazoria NWR.
Coastal Prairie Maps: Click here to download maps
Coastal Prairie Videos: Click here to see more prairie videos
Where to Find Prairie Plants for your School
Buy Live Prairie Plants
- Houston Audubon Society, (713) 932-1639), fhannah at houstonaudubon.org
- Morningstar Prairie Plants, (979) 553-3104, morgy at consolidated.net
- Monarch Gateway, email@example.com
- Plant Sales
- Native Plant Society of Texas, Houston Chapter - Annual Wildscapes Workshop (September)
- Mercer Arboretum's March Mart - March each year.
Buy Prairie Seeds