Every Kid in a Park - Houston
What is the Every Kid in a Park Program - Houston (EKIP Houston)? The EKIP Houston program reimburses transportation funds for field trips taken by Title I, 4th classes to our amazing Greater Houston Area outdoor spaces. Houston EKIP collaborates with national, state, and local organizations who provide a variety of curriculum-based natural, cultural, and historical field trips correlated with Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). These transportation funds are made available through a grant from the National Park Foundation for the 2017-2018 academic school year.
Registering for an EKIP Houston Field Trip is Easy...PLEASE read ALL instructions before following links:
Confirm Eligibility: Is your class at a Title 1 School in Region 4 ESC, and are your students in 4th Grade? If yes, your class is eligible for transportation reimbursement.
Understand Requirements for Reimbursement:
- Teachers are required to present simple pre- and post-field trip activities in the classroom. Templates are available here, or you may use ones provided by the field trip location.
- After the trip, submit the dates that pre-and post-field trip activities were complete, along with the bus invoice.
- Be prepared to complete a teacher survey…a small number of teachers will be randomly selected for a short survey on their field trip experience.
Instructions for Booking a Trip:
- Locate the Google Map at the map at the top, right side of this webpage. Place your mouse cursor over the box in the upper right corner of the map, and click the words “View Larger Map”
- Once opened, expand the map further using the “+” and “-“ buttons on the bottom left corner of the map.
- Find a field trip location near your school (the red/green balloon), and click on the balloon to learn more.
- View the description of the field trip location on the left side.
- Call or email the field trip contact to discuss field trip details and confirm a date.
- Once the date is confirmed, contact the Houston EKIP Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for travel reimbursement information.
- BE SURE TO COMPLETE THE PRE-TRIP ACTIVITY with your class before going to the site.
- Enjoy the Field Trip! Record the number of students, teachers, and chaperons who attended.
- After the trip, COMPLETE THE POST-FIELD TRIP ACTIVITY.
- Receiving Reimbursement:
- Follow the instructions emailed to you after the field trip, requesting that you provide the following:
- The total number of students and teachers who went on the field trip and distance to the site.
- A simple statement saying you completed the pre- and post-activities, and
- A scanned copy of your bus invoice.
- Information on where the reimbursement is to be sent (payee and address)
- Please also be prepared to take a survey on your field trip experience. A small number of teachers will be randomly selected to be surveyed by the National Park Foundation as a condition of the grant. Thank you!
- Do not hesitate to contact EKIP Houston if you have any questions along the way:
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: (346) 704-0652
How does the Houston EKIP relate to the National Every Kid in a Park (EKIP) Program?
Every Kid in a Park is part of our Nation's commitment to protect our nation’s unique outdoor spaces and ensure that every American has the opportunity to visit and enjoy them. The program, now in its second year, is a crucial component of a multi-pronged approach to inspire the next generation to discover all that our nation’s public lands and waters have to offer.
Beginning September 1, 2015, all kids in the 4th grade have access to their own Every Kid in a Park pass, which they can download and print from everykidinapark.gov. This pass provides free access to national parks and federal public lands across the country for the entire academic year.